Saturday, July 19, 2008

Where Are They Now?

Remember that old VH1 show? Its aim was to catch us up on the activities of music stars of yore. I felt like I was in an episode last night.

Wisconsin has an incredibly large number of opportunities for live music, not least of which are the county and state fairs. At the county fair last night I got to see both Soul Asylum (remember Runaway Train?) and Everclear. Despite the mosquitos and hint of goat in the air it was a great time. Mostly it was fun because Jodi is an Everclear fan and she danced oh-so-cutely while they were on.

Neither band's performance really wowed me. Soul Asylum's music has always been a little tame for my taste, and Everclear's songs all sound alike (literally, when they started playing their encore I asked "Haven't they already played this one?"). However, what really struck me was the enthusiasm and sincerity that both bands displayed. Neither of them seemed to be overly depressed at having to play the Waukesha County Fair, despite not being able to pronounce "Waukesha" and making, by my estimation, barely enough to cover the busses and booze for the show. It was fun seeing a couple of once-big-time bands still enjoying what they do and making ends meet the best way they can.

2 comments:

AaronLYoung said...

I appreciate your positive spin on the concert. I likely wouldn't have been so optimistic about it all. The point you make is really a valid one. In the thick of the learning curve and other stresses at work I often find myself wondering why I'm not doing what I want with my time. I'm still jumping through hoops.

Josh said...

Well, I've had to really go out of my way to plan some of these trips. It's not like the college or pre-marriage days where every night I'd just mosey over to a friend's house and we'd find something to do. Now I have to pencil in things on pieces of paper that I may or may not remember to look at later.