Monday, June 16, 2008

Pass me some more trip-hop...I'll pass on the pop....

Two noteworthy albums to discuss (neither is terribly new). First, Portishead is amazing. One of history's quintessential trip-hop bands has done it again with their album Third, and it's truly amazing. Listening to Third reminds me of the first time I heard Massive Attack's Mezzanine.....first, this sounds horrible....then, hmmm there's something interesting going on here....and finally, this speaks to my soul! They have reinvented trip-hop for this decade and I'm betting that soon other bands will be stealing once again from this staple of good electronic music.

Second, Madonna's Hard Candy makes me about as sick to listen to as looking at her 50-year-old self in the dominatrix outfit on the cover. There's nothing new here. In fact, it takes the worst of Madonna's admittedly impressive career and smears it together with a hodgepodge of half-hearted efforts from some of the world's best producers. Forgive me if you disagree, but I simply can't afford to give this album a second listen (I didn't even bother to give you a link). The most recognizable track, 4 Minutes, is fairly catchy (I think it's also the first single from the album), but it's JT who makes it shine, not the matriarch of fake british accents. Maybe her nursing home neighbors will appreciate it more than me.

On the plus side, Ace finally sent me some JUSTICE to listen to and I'm digging it. It's from the Essential Mix series on UK radio. Not only did they find time to mix in the Chemical Brothers, some classic funk, and some of their own modern european techno, but they did it with such style I am forced to overlook the fact that they are french... If you want your ears tickled, check them out. The most amazing thing to me about JUSTICE is how their music speaks to me. I can actually hear a message/emotion/signal/whatever you want to call it that seems very intentional and purposeful in each of their songs. It reminds me of how some classical music is supposed to be heard. Why I have an ear for JUSTICE and not for Mozart with regards to the "meaning" of the song I cannot say.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This will give you 17 boners:
http://www.waste-central.com/video/video/show?id=2026864%3AVideo%3A227120

Anonymous said...

try this instead:
http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/

AaronLYoung said...

Boy, 17 is an amazing number.

I totally agree with you on Madonna. I mean, not you on top of madonna, but what you said about madonna. I guess it's great she's so thin and does yoga a pilates all day, but she should keep the clothes on now. I saw the video with JT (by the way, Timbatoes, it ain't cool to make out with old ladies) and the song isn't bad, but seeing her suggestive dance moves makes me queezy - and not in a good way. Please madonna, act your age and keep yourself clothed.

Greyson said...

Ah, you guys are killing me. I think Madonna reinvented herself, again. Of course, she had (perhaps needed) the able help of Mr. Timberlake and Timbaland. But, I like "Hard Candy". Madonna has made a career of being scantily clad - it's a formula that has worked for her for twenty-five years. Why change it now because we don't like it? I doubt we're her target audience.

I do think, however, that the '4 Minutes' video is terrible. I agree with you guys on that.

Paz y luz.

Josh said...

It turned out to be 22 boners, in fact, but they were spread out over a week, so it wasn't a noticeable change in my routine.