Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Running and Music

I found something on iTunes a couple of weeks ago that I'm ashamed to admit I bought. When I hear someone mention using "techno" in some sort of workout routine (think cheesy, thumping, aerobics instructor music) it makes me cringe. It lumps things like Paul-Oakenfold-ten-thousand-person-rave-music with truly amazing electronic music like the Chemical Brothers in the same way that "Indie Rock" is the new catch-all genre for anything that doesn't play on pop radio (remember "Alternative Rock"?).

So, when I saw Drive, a release by the Crystal Method that iTunes calls a Nike+ Original Run, I was skeptical. It's 40ish minutes of Crystal Method music, mostly previously released, mixed with the idea of creating a tempo and mood suitable for a good run. Since I'm a fan of the CM, though, I decided to give it a try, and I have to say I was not disappointed. The music seems to build and kick exactly when I need it to, so for me it accomplished exactly what it claims. For the most part it's not mind-blowing electronic music, but it is a cool idea and one that I think iTunes will continue.

Of course, my power song is still Knights of Cydonia by MUSE. Nothing beats it for pumping me up when I hit the wall....yet.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Are you doing any bpm-matching with your music during the workouts? I've read about it, but I don't listen to music while I run.

NY Times

178 pounds as of yesterday. I will set a PR this year for a full marathon.

Josh said...

1) No, I haven't tried that. I admit it's frustrating sometimes when the beat *almost* lines up with your pace but not quite. Are there people who actually design a workout music set to help them pace? That would be cool.

2) Is this the Mike I think it is? Where the heck are you, dude? Email me! I'm down to 200 (from 231 in December) as of this week. No marathon plans right now, but I will be running a few 10Ks this year.

Mike said...

i emailed you